What is Nu Rho Psi?
Nu Rho Psi is the National Honor Society in Neuroscience, founded in 2006 by the Faculty for Undergraduate Neuroscience and now an independent honor society. We are a non-profit, grass-roots organization comprised of neuroscientists, like you. Currently, charters have been awarded to over 60 chapters in all regions of the United States. The purpose of Nu Rho Psi is to:
- encourage professional interest and excellence in scholarship, particularly in Neuroscience
- award recognition to students who have achieved such excellence in scholarship
- advance the discipline of Neuroscience
- encourage intellectual and social interaction between students, faculty, and professionals in Neuroscience and related fields
- promote career development in Neuroscience and related fields
- increase public awareness of Neuroscience and its benefits for the individual and society
- encourage service to the community.
Who may join?
Membership to the University of Kentucky's Nu Rho Psi chapter is by invitation and is open to undergraduate and graduate students*, as well as faculty members who are making the study of Neuroscience one of their major interests and who meet the other academic qualifications. Requirements for membership include:
- Major, minor, other emphasis in Neuroscience
- Completion of at least 3 semesters of the College course
- Completion of at least 9 semester hours of Neuroscience-related courses
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.2 and a minimum GPA of 3.5 in Neuroscience courses
Nu Rho Psi is also open to qualifying Neuroscience faculty and alumni of Neuroscience programs. Students and faculty are elected to membership by the chapter at participating institutions, according to the provisions in the national Nu Rho Psi Constitution and locally adopted By-Laws. Any chapter, at its discretion, may establish higher academic standards for eligibility, but may not require lower standards for eligibility. Membership in Nu Rho Psi is open to qualified candidates regardless of age, sex, sexual orientation, race handicap or disability, color, religion, or national or ethnic origin.
What are the benefits of membership?
Nu Rho Psi membership provides recognition of verified academic excellence in the interdisciplinary field of Neuroscience. Students who become members of Nu Rho Psi are selected based on their superior scholarly accomplishments as well as their interest and experience in research. Nu Rho Psi membership is for life and it is often a springboard for networking and research collaboration. Nu Rho Psi offers competitive travel awards for members to attend and present their research at the annual Society for Neuroscience meeting. Nu Rho Psi also offers competitive research grants to facilitate our member’s senior theses or other scholarly projects. Our chapters may apply for Nu Rho Psi grants to promote their educational and community initiatives. We mentor our members through publications (e.g. The Nu Rho Psi Guide to Graduate School in Neuroscience) and provide support to foster other outreach activities of the Society. News and additional information about benefits are available to members via the Nu Rho Psi Newsletter. Members receive membership certificates and lapel pins as an indication of the honor they have earned.
What is the cost?
Membership in Nu Rho Psi is for life and the one-time induction fee ($40.00 for students; $50.00 for faculty) is the only payment, funds are sent to the National organization.
How do I join?
To become a member of Nu Rho Psi, compelte and submit the appriate application:
Application for undergraduate students
- Fall Application Dealine: Oct 1
- Spring Application Deadline: Mar 1
- Application for graduate students
- Application for faculty
*Graduate programs can be added to the UK Nu Rho Psi Charter, but each program must be approved by the National Nu Rho Psi Organization. Currently approved programs are: Behavioral Neuroscience and Psychopharmacology area of the Department of Psychology. If you would like to request that your program be added, please complete the appliation and return it to Lynda Sharrett-Field at email@example.com.